Closing Date: 11/1/2021
The National Science Foundation is seeking qualified candidates for an Interdisciplinary (Science Advisor) position for the Office of the Division Director in the National Center for Science and Engineering Statistics (NCSES) within the Directorate for Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences (SBE), Alexandria, VA.
For more information on SBE please click here.
For more information on NCSES please click here.
This position is in the Office of the Division Director (ODD), National Center for Science and Engineering Statistics (NCSES), Directorate for Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences (SBE), National Science Foundation (NSF). NCSES is designated by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) as one of thirteen principal statistical agencies within the federal government, and has as its prime objective the development of both statistical data and analytical information on the U.S. science and engineering enterprise, including research and development; the science and engineering workforce; U.S. competitiveness in science, engineering, technology, and R&D; and the condition and progress of STEM education in the U.S.
The Science Advisor is an important member of the NCSES ODD and will directly support and advise the NCSES Director on strategic issues. The Science Advisor is cognizant of current and proposed initiatives impacting NCSES and provides advice on the implications of such on the agency’s future programs. The Science Advisor takes a lead role in high-level interagency efforts, as many NCSES activities have significant interagency and international dimensions.
- Develops advice, recommendations, and analyses for the NCSES Director on issues and opportunities for NCSES.
- Works with NCSES executives and other senior officials to facilitate the agency’s interagency planning and coordination, and to develop goals, strategic plans, and short-term and long-term initiatives.
- Leads and implements activities that increase the visibility, relevance, and usefulness of NCSES products.
- Serves as the organizational representative on senior level policy and planning bodies.
- Analyzes and integrates input and guidance from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), the Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP), the Interagency Council on Statistical Policy (ICSP), the Congress, and other agencies and organizations into NCSES plans.
- As necessary, designs, coordinates, and oversees NCSES initiatives and activities.